Generous Kitchen


Monday, February 28, 2011

Molasses Cookies

If I were to be graded on my blogging skills for the month of February,
I would probably get a "D-"
If it were a pass/fail grade, I would have surely failed!

Fortunately, I'm not graded and you all seem
to be forgiving and patient...

So, I apologize for the long span between 
blogs and to show my sincere remorse,
here is one of the best cookies Baking Buddy
and I have come across in a long time.

Molasses Cookies

Mix together:
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 molasses
   


Sift together:
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger


Gently mix dry ingredients into sugar mixture



Roll dough in approx 1" balls


Dip the tops into granulated sugar.


Place balls sugared side up about
3" apart on baking sheet.
(I use parchment paper to keep the cookies from sticking)


Sprinkle each dough ball with 2-3 drops water
(I know...this is weird...just trust me!)


Bake:
Conventional Oven ~ 375
for 10-12 minutes
or
Convection Oven ~ 320
for 8-10 minutes


So...a little history lesson here.
(according to Betty Crocker) ;)
Molasses was the chief sweetener in American homes
 in the 18th and early 19th centuries.
Every cabin and covered wagon had its molasses jug; 
it was used in baking and eaten on flapjacks and on bread.
Today, molasses is used more for its 
rich mellow flavor than for its sweetening.  
Of course now, we're so smart, 
we have all kinds of chemicals and 
cancer-causing things to use as sweeteners.  
We've come a long way, haven't we?
Anyhoo...light molasses comes from the
 first boil of the sugar cane stalk, 
and dark molasses comes from the second.

There...don't you feel well informed!?

Don't forget to share.


you are loved

No comments:

Post a Comment