Generous Kitchen


Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Monster Cookies

I don't know the specific, original, absolute reason 
these cookies are named "Monster Cookies".

I do know, however, that there is something
therapeutic about making them.
(and the eating part isn't bad, either)

When I am overwhelmed with some emotion, 
(particularly a difficult one)
I cook/bake. 

Monster Cookie recipe with ingredients waiting, 
some great music playing,
comfortable clothes that can get messy.
This has been my "recipe" for coping more than once.

I hope you don't have some difficulty in your life, 
but if you do,
these are good therapy!

Let me quickly say, I'm going to tell you how I make them.
However, there are a multitude of ingredients you can substitute.
I don't think I've made them EXACTLY the same way twice.
It really is to be made exactly to YOUR taste!

Isn't that lovely?

This particular recipe makes about 6 dozen cookies.
You need a couple of big bowls to get this all mixed in.

Preheat oven:
350 degrees Conventional
or
320 degrees Convection



Mix together:
(I do this portion by hand in a very large bowl)
6 eggs
3 cups brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar

With hand or stand mixer blend together:
24 oz smooth and creamy peanut butter
1 cup  (two sticks) butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract


Add Egg/Sugar mixture to Butter/Peanut Butter Mixture


Stir in:
8 oz plain M & M's
8 oz mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 oz bittersweet chocolate chips





Okie Dokie...

here's where you can make all kinds of adjustments.
I have used Peanut Butter chips, 
Milk Chocolate chips,
Dark Chocolate chips, 
Peanut M&M's, 
Raisins 
[family turned their nose up at the thought of something half-way healthy in these cookies], 
White Chocolate chips, 
Reese's Pieces, 
or almost any chip/piece of candy or chocolate 
you may have in your house at the time.


Just try to use approximately 3 variations @ 8 oz each.

Mix together:
9 cups quick cooking (not instant) oats
4 tsp baking soda
(remember, because there is oatmeal in these cookies,
they can be considered a breakfast food!) ;)

Mix oatmeal mixture into butter/candy mixture
This is probably going to be more than your stand mixture can hold
unless you have a big super-D-duper professional grade machine.
I mix about 1/2 - 3/4 of the oatmeal mixture in and then
transfer the dough into a larger bowl
(the one I measured the oatmeal into)
and mix the remainder of the oatmeal in by hand.
(or I try to get someone much younger and stronger to help mix)


Drop a tablespoon of flattened balls of delicious dough:
onto parchment or Silpat lined pan
about 2 inches apart.


Bake for 8-10 minutes.
(mine baked 9 minutes)

I'll guess there's someone in your life who could really use a cookie!

Enjoy

you are loved










No comments:

Post a Comment