Generous Kitchen


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

French Silk Pie

This is one of the "favorites" in the pie category.

In fact, we had a Thanksgiving celebration last November which included
a "get to know each other" game in our Youth Group
(which sweet hubby is currently leading).
The prize for the winner was a pie a month delivered to their home for a whole year!
I expected to deliver a variety of pies to the winner's home,
however, after allowing his wife to make ONE exception,
we have delivered a French Silk pie to the winner every month so far.
So, my friends, following is the recipe for a
"knock-your-socks-off-chocolate-lovers-dream" pie.

Start melting slowly in a double boiler:
3 oz Semisweet baking chocolate squares
(I didn't have the squares, so I substituted chocolate chips...perfectly acceptable!)

While that melts, cream together:

1/2 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla

Add:1 heaping tbsp powdered cocoa
and continue mixing.

Look at this beautiful sight! Butter, Sugar, Vanilla, Chocolate...
Seriously, people, just hand me a spoon. YUM!
But wait...it only gets better.

Add:
the melted chocolate from the double boiler.
Mix together.
(I told you it gets better~)

Add:
2 Eggs
However . . .
add these eggs one at a time
(or "one at the time" as my friend Paula Deen says),
mixing 5 minutes after each addition.

Pour into baked Graham Cracker Crust
We will discuss this crust another time, but my "Baking Buddy" is an expert at both Graham Cracker and Pastry Crusts. I'm a little jealous...I can't lie. The Pastry Crust "thing" skipped a generation! Baking Buddy's Grandma taught her, just as she tried to teach me, and while Baking Buddy caught right on, it's still a frustrating mystery to me. Oh, don't get me wrong, I can do it, but it's not a pretty sight.
My family tends to clear the area when I'm making a Pastry Crust.

Anyway, pour your beautiful chocolate concoction into that Graham Cracker Crust!

Chill at least 4 hours.
I like to make mine the night before, but early in the morning (if you're serving it that night) is fine, too.

Top with delicious home made whipped cream
(heavy cream, sugar, vanilla . . .we'll have a whip cream tutorial in a future blog!)
Shave some bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate on top of cream.
(Any chocolate will do. It's really just for the "pretty factor"!)

Cut and enjoy!
(don't forget to share)

You are loved~

No comments:

Post a Comment